Our theme and layout designers have been really busy lately! At this point, we have over twelve hundred styles (exciting, isn't it :D?), which is, well, a lot.
The one downside of all this is that we don't have a lot of organization on the style selection page
to help users sort through layouts to find one they want. 'Featured' showcases new themes, and 'Base Styles' gives one example of each layout, but that's about it right now. So, someone who's trying to find the perfect layout for their journal has to look through each of those twelve hundred styles individually, and we're brainstorming ways we can make it easier for people to find the journal look they're looking for.
We can calculate some of the more objective parts of styles automatically, but not everything can be solved with math, which means it falls to the people reading this, the people using these styles, to tell us how you would like to see things sorted into categories -- things that would make it easier for you to find what you're looking for, or ways you'd find helpful to have things sorted.
Some examples of things we can make the servers do automatically (and please do suggest more of these if you think of them!):
* Grouping layouts by color
* Grouping layouts by whether they're high- or low-contrast
* Grouping layouts by how bright the colors used are
And some ideas for categories that would have to be determined by people, on an individual basis (and these aren't necessarily the ones we'd use, but just to start the brainstorming):
* Layouts that work particularly well with very large font sizes
* Layouts that work particularly well on mobile devices
* Layouts that are optimized for one-column or three-column mode (almost all of our layouts support all modes, but many of them default to two-column as 'standard' and can behave a bit oddly in other modes)
Or categories that are more about the subjective "feel" of the layout:
* Layouts that are nature-themed
* Layouts that are "cute"
* Layouts that are minimalist/"clean"-looking
* Layouts that are "fancy"/more ornate
The more people who give their opinions on this, the better! What are the sort of categories you'd like to see when looking for that perfect layout for your journal?EDIT:
Here's a similar, older brainstorming post
to jumpstart ideas